1.07.2012

Lime Cornmeal Cookies

Hello again! I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season. Mine was quite enjoyable: my parents gave me this wonderful cookbook for Christmas.  Thanks, Mom and Dad! It's definitely one of my favorite presents.  Unfortunately, I've been limited to making one baked good per week (my parents claim that if I make more than that, we'll all gain a million pounds and have to go through doors sideways. I can see their point.) However, all the recipes I've tried so far have been fantastic.  I'll probably post some more in the next couple of weeks.
This recipe especially caught my eye.  I'd never heard of anyone putting cornmeal in cookies before, and the idea interested me.  I made them for the first time today, and boy, am I glad I did.  These cookies are amazing!  They're like bite-sized pieces of spring.  The lime zest nicely balances out the buttery sweetness, and the crunchy edges contrast agreeably with the soft, chewy center.  I will definitely make these again.

Lime Cornmeal Cookies
Adapted from Flour, by Joanne Chang with Christie Matheson
Makes 40-42 cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temerature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lime zest (about 2 large limes)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Lime Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1-1 1/2 limes)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest (about 1 lime)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or mixing by hand), cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (it will take about 10 minutes mixing by hand.) Stop the mixer a few times and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.  Add the lime zest and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until the eggs are thoroughly incorporated with the dough.  Scrape down the bowl once more to make sure the eggs are all mixed in.

2. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture on low speed. Stir until the flour is completely mixed in.

3. Drop the dough in 1 tablespoon balls onto a baking sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart.  Flatten each ball gently with the palm of your hand.

4. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are just pale brown around the edges and the center is firm to the touch. Do not let them brown on top.  Let cool on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.  Let cool until at room temperature or just a little warmer before glazing.

5. To make the glaze:  In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioner's sugar, water, lime juice, and lime zest until smooth.

6. Brush the cookies with a thin layer of glaze and let set for about 10 minutes. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.  Unbaked dough can be stored for up to a week in the fridge, and the glaze can also be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.

2 comments:

  1. I had a recipe like this from Martha Stewart.....wonder who got it from who?

    ReplyDelete